Title: Activities that Teach Social and Emotional Competence
Introduction: This activity will give students the opportunity to research various activities that teach social emotional learning skills.
This Assignment fulfills:
- Module Outcome Two: You will have described strategies for supporting children’s social emotional learning
- Course Outcome One : You will have demonstrated direct/indirect strategies to encourage social skills while recognizing the relationship between children’s social, emotional, and cognitive development
- Course Outcome Three: You will have Demonstrated direct/indirect strategies to encourage emotional expression while recognizing the relationship between children’s social, emotional and cognitive development
- General Education Competency Two: You will have used critical thinking to analyze problems and make logical decisions.
Review the video: Five Keys to Successful Social and Emotional Learning.
You will need to review the following websites, along with any other sites you find, and explore the information and strategies presented on Social Emotional Learning (SEL).These two sites are also listed in the text on page 215 under the Web Sites section.
Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL)http://www.vanderbilt.edu/csefel
Edutopia org/social-emotional-learning” target=”_blank”>http://www.edutopia.org/social-emotional-learning
These two sites discuss various developmentally appropriate strategies that help students learn to be more socially and emotionally competent. They also have resources that can be used in the classroom when teaching SEL activities. For this assignment you can explore and investigate any resource, website, magazine, etc. that addresses SEL activities. After exploring the sites, select five SEL activities that you would like to use when working with children.
After selecting an activity:
1.List the category of SEL this activity focuses on. These were discussed in the video: Five Keys to Successful Social and Emotional Learning. The categories include: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision making.
2 List the site where you found your activity
3. List the goals of the activity (what are you wanting the children to learn?) A description of the activity must be included
4. Summarize in one paragraph containing a minimum of 7 sentences how you will use the activity to help children on their journey to social and emotional competency.
Each of the five SEL activities selected is worth a total of twenty points.
*Two points will be given for correctly listing the site where you found the activity.
*Four points will be given for appropriately categorizing the focus of the activity.
*Six points will be given for accurately providing the goals of the activity and including a description.
*Eight points will be given for the summary paragraph containing seven sentences . The paragraph should explain how the activity will be used to reach social and emotional competency.
*Points will be deducted for grammar and spelling errors.
Follow the guidelines listed above for each of the five activities.
Resources: Textbook: Page 237
Web Sites: Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL)http://www.vanderbilt.edu/csefel
There are many resources that can be used for this activity.
Complete the five activities that teach social and emotional competence using Word and attach the file to assignment link in Blackboard by clicking on Browse my Computer and attach file. This assignment is due by the assigned due date @ 11:59pm. Emailed assignments are not accepted.