For your Week 3 assignment, examine key compositions and composers of the Classical period. This is an opportunity for further analysis of the context in which a work of music is created.
Listen to the Listening Guides: The Classical Period to prepare for this assignment.
Select one composition from the Classical period.
Imagine you have gone to a performance of your selected composition in the year and location it was originally performed. What type of audience are you a part of? Describe your experience and include the following:
- Description of how melody, harmony, rhythm, and texture are used in the music of the era of your selected work
- How your experience reflects changes in society and its economy during the Classical period
Submit your assignment as a presentation. You may use a Microsoft® PowerPoint®presentation, a video or another tool with which you are familiar. The presentation should be developed with either 8 to 12 slides or a similar length in another presentation tool.
Include detailed explanations in the Speaker Notes section that correlate to each point if audio is not a part of your assignment.
Cite your sources consistent with APA guidelines.
Listen to the following on the McGraw-Hill Connect site to prepare for your Week 3 assignments:
- “Symphony No. 94 in G major, I” (9:38)
- “Symphony No. 94 in G major, II” (6:21)
- “Piano Concerto No. 23 in A Major, K. 488, I” (11:42)
- “Don Giovanni: K. 527, Act I – Introduction” (5:48)
- “Piano Sonata in C minor, op. 13, I” (6:49)
- “Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67, I” (7:37)