Bevan and Sole (2014) present theories that women and men communicate differently based growing up in “different cultures” or that they are similar based on the “gender similarities” hypothesis. For this discussion, you will be required to think through these ideas by relating these arguments to what you learn in a video you will watch on gender and communication and your own experience.[shortposting]
Write: Based on what you have learned this week from our text and the video, answer the following questions:
· What are the gender similarities and gender differences hypotheses?
· How does gender influence how we communicate verbally and nonverbally?
· In your own experience, do men and women communicate differently? If so, how and why?
· Why is it important to think about gender when thinking about communication?
· Please spend at least two sentences on each of the questions.
· Note: While we want you to think through your own experience, this should not be the primary basis of your response. You should use your experience to think through what you have learned in class. Think of your experience as potential evidence you can use to support or refute some claims made in the book or video.
· Thoroughly address all three elements of this prompt by writing at least two to three sentences on each element. Use the course readings at least once to help you make your points. Consider copying and pasting these tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately. Your answers should begin with some points about the importance of understanding nonverbal communication generally and then provide examples.