The correctional system budget is one of the largest sections of a state’s yearly budget. The current philosophy of being tough on criminals has resulted in overcrowding in prisons and massive corrections budgets.
However, the recent overall decline in many state economies and the national economy has forced states to cut their corrections budgets and include alternative sanctions other than incarceration and still be accountable for maintaining public safety.
Most prison systems have been negatively affected in recent years by these budget cuts. Due to scarce budgets, states have been forced to reduce staffing and cut funding to crime prevention programs. The staffing cuts have become necessary because people are the most expensive part of running a prison. States have also privatized services and programs such as food service, medical services, warehouse and maintenance operations, and educational services to reduce costs. Typically, programming services are reviewed for reductions as they are not considered the core of prison operations such as custody and security.
Using the Argosy University online library resources and the textbook readings, write a 3- to 5-page paper that addresses the following:
- Analyze and explain how budget cuts affect the various programs in the correctional system.
- Analyze the pros and cons of privatizing prison services and programs to alleviate budgetary costs. Explain whether state governments should relinquish correctional supervision and control to private entities.
- Explain how enacting legislations that are thought to be tough on crime affects the prison system’s ethical responsibilities to prisoners.
Include the following points in your responses:
- Legal requirements of a correctional system: food, housing, and medical care
- Prison safety
- Prison programs: General Education Development (GED), English as a Second Language (ESL), and trades
- Save the paper as M2_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc.
- By Wednesday, July 19, 2017, submit your paper to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Analyzed and explained how budget cuts affect the various programs in the correctional system.||
|Analyzed the pros and cons of privatizing prison services and programs to alleviate budgetary costs and explained whether state governments should relinquish correctional supervision and control to private entities.||
|Described how enacting legislations that are thought to be tough on crime affect the prison system’s ethical responsibilities to prisoners.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in the accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||