English Composition Essay
Directions: Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English spelling and grammar. If sources are cited they must be in APA format. Your response should be a maximum of two (2) double-spaced pages in length; refer to the “Assignment Format” page for specific format requirements.
The essay writing process: You will write the first draft of a two-paragraph essay plus a conclusion. You may choose one of these essay topics or the most exciting event in my life (the Birth of My First Child). You will be graded on the following:
- A clear thesis statement (10 points)
- Two topic sentences (one for each paragraph) that express the main idea (15 points each for a possible total of 30 points)
3. The body of each paragraph: Each paragraph should be comprised of a topic sentence (#2 above), supporting details in body sentences (relevant to the topic sentence), and a concluding sentence (20 points each for a possible total of 40 points)
- The conclusion (10 points)
- Be sure to proofread carefully, including spell-checking. (10 points).