Boys and girls first enter the school system concerned with the shift in daily reality. They make new friends and take on new responsibilities, all with the hopes of having a positive social and academic experience. Academic performance inevitably varies across a student body but at what point do students, teachers, and families consider whether there is a link between gender and school performance? Did you ever consider that your poor performance or high success in school had something to do with your gender or expectations related to your gender? The debate concerning school performance challenges and gender bias will likely continue for decades to come.
In this Application Assignment, you evaluate both Kimmel’s and Garibaldi’s arguments on gender bias and its impact on school performance and present your own position on the subject.
Questions about this Assignment? Post them in the Contact the Instructor area. That way, everyone in the class will see and benefit from the Instructor’s response.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the following in The Longman Writer: Rhetoric, Reader, Research Guide, and Handbook:
- Chapter 18 selection, “How the Schools Shortchange Boys” by Gerry Garibaldi (pp. 441–445)
- Chapter 18 selection, “A War Against Boys?” by Michael Kimmel (pp. 447–452)
- Part VI, “A Concise Handbook”
Then, read the following statement:
- Where does society’s responsibility end, and where does personal responsibility begin for choices made by individuals? Is the educational system failing boys, or are boys failing themselves?
Finally, consider the following:
- How does each author incorporate outside sources into his writing to address both sides of the argument? Are their positions clear regarding where they stand on the causes leading to declining success of boys in school?
- Of the two authors, who do you think makes the better case? Why is that argument more convincing? What evidence does the author present to support his position?
- Consider your own position on gender bias in education. How did you arrive at this position? What evidence do you have to back up your position?
Write a 1- to 2-page essay in response to the statement. Be sure to include the following:
- An introductory paragraph that includes your thesis statement regarding your position in favor of or against the statement. Underline the thesis statement in your response.
- 1–2 paragraphs of supportive evidence for your position
- Cite at least two examples from the reading or outside sources (e.g., books, journal articles, web articles) in support of your position. Note: Wikipedia will not be accepted as an outside resource.
- Indent the first sentence of each paragraph. Block paragraphs are not acceptable for this Assignment.
Your final document should:
- Be in a 10- or 12-point font, such as Arial or Verdana
- Be double-spaced throughout
- Have 1-inch margins for top, bottom, left, and right
- Include your full name and the Assignment title on the document