Week 1 Assignment
The following information regarding the ten richest Americans was reported in a recent issue of Forbes.
- How many elements are in the above data set?
- How many variables are in this data set?
- How many observations are in this data set?
- Which variables are categorical and which are quantitative?
A sample of the ages of 10 employees of a company is shown below.
20 30 40 30 50
30 20 30 20 40
- Using a method of your choosing, construct a dot plot for the above data.
The following data shows the price of PAO, Inc. stock over the last eight months.
- Develop a scatter diagram and draw a trend line through the points.
- What kind of relationship exists between stock price and time (negative, positive, or no relation)?
Project Week 1
For these project assignments throughout the course you will need to reference the data in the ROI Excel spreadheet. Download it here.
In this data set – the ROI data set – for 2 different majors (Business and Engineering), you are given a sample of the 20 best colleges according to ROI (ROI = Return on Investment) and their ‘School Type’, ‘Cost’, ’30-Year ROI’, and ‘Annual % ROI’.
- For each of the 2 majors create a pie chart using the column ‘School Type’. Comment on your results.
- For each of the 2 majors create a frequency distribution and histogram using the column ‘Annual % ROI’. Group with starting at 6% (0.06), ending at 11% (0.11), and go by 0.5% (0.005).
- For the histograms title your charts “Histogram Business Major: Annual % ROI” for Business majors and “Histogram Engineering Major: Annual % ROI” for Engineering Majors. Comment on your results.