(Please note: This is an actual court case and an Internet search may uncover the actual case details. You are prohibited from utilizing any source materials associated with this case. Use of any related materials will result in a reduction of points on this assignment. This assignment is being graded on your ability to think critically—on your own recognizance—based on your comprehension of the knowledge provided in this week’s learning materials.)
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapter 7 ATTACHED and the article Stark and Anti-Kickback Laws Limit Lab-Marketing Methods, and review the web page Health Care Fraud News (Links to an external site.), the website Stark Law (Links to an external site.). Then, review the following case study below:
Two physicians, Dr. S. and Dr. V., leased a nuclear camera so they would no longer have to refer their patients to the local hospital for nuclear imaging. Faced with the prospect of losing over a third of its $2,274,094 in annual gross nuclear medicine revenues, the hospital responded by threatening to revoke the doctors’ admitting privileges. Lengthy negotiations ensued, at the end of which the hospital agreed to sublease the camera from the two physicians; the camera remained at the physicians’ offices but other physicians with privileges at the hospital could use it. Four other local physicians who provided the same or similar services to patients as Dr. S. and Dr. V. brought a qui tam action alleging that the sublease violated the Anti-Kickback and Stark Acts and that the defendants falsely certified compliance with those laws in connection with claims submitted to Medicare in violation of the False Claims Act.
Carefully review Chapter 7 of your textbook and the links I provided for you. Given the scenario above to create your paper,
- Analyze whether the actions of Dr. S. and Dr. V. violated Stark Law.
- Explain the legal parameters for patient rights and the role that Dr. S and Dr. V play in protecting those rights.
- Explain the federal, statutory, or case laws that apply in this scenario.
- Provide solid evidence supporting your decision by utilizing information from the Ashford University Library as well as the law itself.
The Stark Law Paper
· Must be two to three double-spaced pages in lengthand formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
· Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph.
Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
· Must use at least two scholarly sources from the last five to seven years in addition to the course text below
o Bustillos, D., & Vellek, S. (2019). Health care ethics and medical law. Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
· Must document any information used from sources in APA style
· Must include separate references page that is formatted according to APA style