Assignment 2: Influences of Family Dynamics on Childhood—Self Review
You now understand that there are many different areas of impact within the realms of parenting styles. Explore your own experience and reaction to the parenting disciplines and styles of your own parents. This awareness will help you in your interactions with children.
Reflect on the family dynamics that were prevalent in your own home (such as your temperament, gender, placement in the sibling group, parent’s life stage, marital quality of parents, traditions, and expectations). Based on this reflection, respond to the following:
- Looking back at your own experiences and influences, which dynamic would you say had the biggest impact on your own development during childhood and adolescence and the role that you played in your own family? Give reasons for your answer.
- Think about your role in the context of your family. How is it explained by the various family dynamics such as your temperament, gender, placement in the sibling group, parent’s life stage, marital quality of parents, traditions, expectations, and so on?
- Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research your findings further. Incorporate information from at least two of these academic sources to support your statements and ideas in your response to the following:
- How does your biggest impact align with the research?
- Who are the major proponents (theorists past or current) of your chosen dynamic and how did they reach these conclusions?
- Ask two adults what or who had the most impact on them. Compare this data with your experience and your research about prominent dynamics.
Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M2_A2.doc. For example, if your name is John Smith, your document will be named SmithJ_M2_A2.doc.Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Be sure to include separate title and reference pages. Apply APA standards to citation of sources, including use of in-text citations and full references. Academic sources could include your textbook, required readings for this module, or academic journal articles found in the Argosy University online library.