Ashford 5: – Week 4 – Assignment
Sexual Predator Prosecution
Prepare a paper that details your home state’s approach to sexual predators. Address following items in your paper:
- Does your state have any laws that prohibit conduct that would be considered to be predatory?
- What types of crimes are codified into law, misdemeanor, or felony?
- What are the punishments?
- Are there mandatory punishments, or do judges have discretion in sentencing a defendant after conviction?
- According to the statutes that you research, is mere solicitation of improper activities enough for a prosecution, or must there be physical contact?
- Provide your opinion on the statute(s) and their varying severity on sexual predators.
NOTE: If you cannot locate your state’s statutes, please research Florida’s.
The paper must be three to four pages in length and formatted according to APA style. You must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the textbook to support your claims. Cite your sources within the text of your paper and on the reference page. For information regarding APA, including samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, located within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.