Week 9 – Discussion[shortposting]
Top of Form
Dissemination of Scholarship
According to Freemantle and Watt (1994), “effective dissemination encompasses more than just the distribution and diffusion of information. It involves the processes by which target groups become aware of, receive, accept and utilize information.” (p. 133).
Think about your Practicum Project. Which groups would find your project findings, conclusions, and recommendations most valuable? Why? How might your focus differ if you were delivering a presentation at a professional conference versus at your practicum site? What would you emphasize if you were publishing an article in a peer-reviewed journal related to your specialization as opposed to in an online forum with a wider healthcare readership?
In this Discussion, you analyze your Practicum Project in terms of conventional means of scholarly dissemination: presentations, posters, and publication.
- Reflect on your Practicum Project.
- Speak with various individuals, especially those in your practicum setting, about presentations or poster sessions they have given and/or publications they have authored. Ask which organizations or journals they would recommend you consider for dissemination based on your Practicum Project topic.
- Consider the following questions related to dissemination:
- Who is your target audience? Who would be most interested in your project findings, conclusions, and recommendations? Consider how the needs or dispositions of the intended audience may inform your choice of dissemination method.
- Which method of dissemination would you choose to convey the findings, conclusions, or recommendations from your Practicum Project? What are the relative benefits and challenges of giving a presentation, sharing your findings through a poster session, and/or publication?
- Consider various nursing, health care, informatics, and leadership and management organizations and journals. What is one organization or journal you would select for your presentation or publication?
- What are some potential challenges? Evaluate what you could do to promote the possibility that your presentation, poster, or manuscript would be accepted.