“COVID 19 and Economics in the News”
Students who wish to do extra credit assignments should do the following (The focus should be on the US economy).
1. Identify 5 to 10 articles in the media or press discussing COVID 19 and relating the pandemic and the economy. (Provide at least five links of the articles you have read)
2. Provide a one-page summary of what the articles say regarding COVID 19 and the economy, giving special attention on how the different sectors of the economy have been impacted by the pandemic
3. Find 5 news sources (material from newspapers, periodicals, and the internet or journal articles) on the great recession of 2007 – 2009 (Financial crisis). (Provide at least five links of the articles you have read)
4. Give a two-paragraph summary of how the financial crisis came about and how the government(s) responded to address it
5. Compare and contrast the COVID-19 and 2008 crises (Provide at least 3 similarities and 3 differences)
6. Provide at least two lessons we can learn from the 2008 crises to address COVID 19 economic crisis
7. Discuss at least two solutions suggested by experts on how to recover from the current economic recession
8. Suggest your own two ways that you think the government could use to help recover from the crisis using what we have been learning this quarter
Some useful articles
I will be looking at how well you articulate the issues as opposed to the length of the paper. However, try to limit the paper to 5 pages at most.