- As a social studies teacher strolls through the halls during lunch, he finds a group of students clustered around two boys who are fighting. When he intervenes to stop the fighting, the teacher must also be aware of
the right to due process.
the in loco parentis position.
his liability insurance.
the use of reasonable force.
- In what way can using graphing calculators aid students in understanding mathematical concepts?
They allow students to more easily organize and analyze data.
They keep students from having to memorize lists of mathematical facts.
They allow teachers to go over greater numbers of problems in class, giving students greater practice opportunity.
They prevent careless computation errors.
- Students who use word processors to write are likely to
finish the assignment more quickly.
make more substantial revisions.
include more errors.
learn less about proofreading and editing.
- When a community develops expectations about the conduct that people ought to exhibit, it is discussing which of the following?
- Joey was born with a birth defect that left him unable to use his vocal cords and consequently to speak. Yet Joey has successfully completed his high school studies and looks forward to a challenging college career. How has assistive technology helped Joey communicate in class?
He has a full-time interpreter who speaks for him.
He makes use of a voice output device that produces synthesized sound.
He uses a voice input device to translate spoken words to written text.
He uses an adaptive word processing program to write his papers.
- Mr. Nguyen, an algebra teacher, emphasizes to his students the epistemological aspects of mathematics. Which of the following kinds of questions is he most likely to ask students?
“When are you likely to use algebra?”
“What is the purpose of the quadratic equation?”
“If I know b = c, then what is the value of a?”
“Explain how you know that x = 12.”
- The Berkeley public school district has just invested a considerable sum of money in computers for classroom use. If the administration and the faculty want to encourage widespread, habitual use of computers by the students, they should ensure
a one-to-one ratio of computer to student.
that students are rewarded with “computer time.”
that the students have adequate access to computers during and after class.
that each student has a computer at home.
- Located in a remote region of New Hampshire, Carr High School has several students who are ready to enroll in calculus and others who wish to take Latin, but there aren’t any teachers who can teach either course. Based upon the most recent advances in education, which proposal represents the best solution for Carr High School’s problem?
An individualized correspondence course for each student
Telling students that they should postpone taking such courses until they enroll in college
Instituting a distance education program whereby the students can enroll in calculus and Latin
Busing the students to other schools that do offer such courses
- For parents who enrolled their child in a private venture school, what is the most likely reason they would be opposed to common schools?
The numbers of students would prevent individual attention for their child.
Their child would be required to follow the common academic curriculum given to all students.
Common schools would not provide their child with the necessary background to succeed in a trade.
Their child would not be instructed in the tenets of his or her faith or about his or her own ethnic heritage.
- What is the best description of private venture schools?
Schools formed so different ethnic groups could be instilled with American democratic values and learn reading, writing, and arithmetic
Schools designed to provide an elementary education for children within the tenets of their faith
Schools that prepared young men to enter commerce and trade
Small, community-run and financed schools designed to teach reading, writing, vocational skills, and religion
- Shoshona and Patti are both tenured foreign (world) language teachers. In the Latin courses, which Shoshona teaches, there has been a 30 percent decrease in student enrollment. Patti has assigned numerous papers to students without ever grading them, has shown films in class week after week, and has frequently given the students a study hall. According to tenure law, what can administrators do regarding both teachers’ future teaching assignments?
Because of tenure, Shoshona cannotbe laid off even if there is a reduction in force. However, despite tenure, Patti may lose her job if the administrators demonstrate that she is incompetent.
Shoshona can be laid off; however, Patti has a contractual right to teach and cannot be fired because of classroom performance.
Tenure protects and ensures the teaching jobs of both Shoshona and Patti.
Tenure does not protect the jobs of teachers who are proven to be incompetent or when schools have a reduction in force.
- The word Philosophy is made up of what two words?
Purpose and life
Wisdom and love
Goodness and wisdom
Life and goodness
- A small group of angry parents threatens to sue a school board for their support of an English teacher and her choice of texts for her class, including the work of J. D. Salinger and Judy Blume. The parents claim that Salinger’s Catcher in the Ryeand Blume’sForeverare inappropriate to teach in school because of their subject matter. If this case reached the courts, what would a judge consider in deciding the case?
A review of the personal lives of both Salinger and Blume
The relevance of the two books to the formal course objectives
The literature selections of other teachers in the department
The merit and quality of each literature selections, as viewed by literary critics and scholars
- What is the most significant benefit of instituting distance education within a school district?
Establishing and maintaining a program is less expensive than paying a teacher.
It provides a way to provide educational equity between rural and poorer students and those who come from larger, more affluent districts.
At-risk students who are enrolled in distance education programs demonstrate greater academic achievement than those who are not participants.
Distance education programs have been shown to stimulate student productivity and time on task.
- Why did Massachusetts’s colonists pass the Old Deluder Satan Act?
They wanted to eradicate all signs of satanic influence from the colony.
They wanted to ensure that religion would be taught in all schools so that children would not be tempted into doing the devil’s work.
They wanted to guarantee the religious education of non-Christians so they would convert to Puritanism.
They wanted to ensure that all children would learn how to read and be able to understand the teachings of the Bible.
- In June, a non-tenured teacher has not been informed of her employment status for the following year. On August 16, she is informed that she will not be rehired by the school district because of her “ineffective classroom management.” How has this situation violated the Supreme Court decision of Goldberg v. Kelly?
The teacher was not given timely notice of her dismissal.
The teacher was not given a clear reason for her dismissal.
The teacher was not given a chance to improve her deficiencies in teaching.
The teacher was not given the chance to demonstrate her teaching abilities to the school board.
- An art teacher is prompting his Sculpture I students to identify the elements of beauty that exist in Michelangelo’s David. This activity is focusing on developing students’ comprehension of
- The use of new technology in the classroom, which includes the computer, CD-ROMs, and multimedia, can enhance the curriculum by
accessing data banks from diverse sources.
creating simulations to solve real-life problems.
linking students in different states or countries to one another.
doing all of the above.
- Equity concerns regarding the integration of technology revolve around
the rapidity with which technology advances, making most hardware obsolete within three years.
the potential for increased resource disparities between rich and poor schools and students’ home access.
the lack of space in many schools for technology hardware.
the difficulty of finding qualified maintenance personnel.
- Which of the following best depicts a romanticist teacher’s classroom?
Students work in groups to sew costumes for a scale model of the Globe Theater.
Students in a French class chorally read a passage from their textbook, and the teacher corrects the pronunciation of several students.
Students work individually on worksheets or exercises to help reinforce skills in computation.
A student, after checking in the school and local library, draws up a reading list and meets with the teacher to inform her of his course of study for the semester.
- Which of the following were the predominant forms of elementary schooling in New England during the colonial period?
Private venture schools, dame schools, and religious schools
Private academies, individual tutors, and Quaker schools
Latin schools, dame schools, and individual tutors
Town schools, moving schools, and district schools
- Concepts relating to aesthetics are:
Values that relate to ‘good’ and ‘bad’ behavior
Beauty and art
Rules of conduct
- Duane teaches in an industrial city where residents are concerned about groundwater contamination. Duane is elected president of a citizens’ environmental group that some residents consider controversial. Near the end of the school year, Duane’s principal quietly tells him that he will not be offered a third-year teacher’s contract because of his reputation as a “radical environmentalist.” Which of this teacher’s rights has been violated?
The everyday ethics of teaching
The right to substantive due process
The right to a teaching contract
The right to procedural due process
- Willful attack resulting in harm to a person is called
- A framework that helps us conceptualize how technology is used to enhance teaching and learning is called
Technological content knowledge
Technological pedagogical knowledge
Technological pedagogical content knowledge
None of these