Teachers have different views and philosophies about classroom management, and how to introduce expectations, routines, and procedures to students. Views and philosophies on classroom management will continue to develop with experience.
Allocate at least 5 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Observe your mentor teacher during a lesson. While observing, take notes on how the teacher incorporates classroom management, student expectations, and procedures in the classroom.
After your observation, collaborate with your mentor teacher about classroom management and student behavioral expectations.
Your discussion should include the following:
- The teacher’s classroom management philosophy, including theories or research the philosophy incorporates.
- How expectations, routines, and procedures are introduced and reinforced in the classroom.
- How the classroom expectations and procedures match the teacher’s philosophy.
- How the teacher deals with and handles behavioral issues in the classroom.
- How the classroom is physically set-up.
Ask additional and follow up questions as appropriate.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the mentor teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
At the conclusion of the field experience, write a 250-500 word summary reflecting on your experience. Describe how you will apply what you have learned to your future professional practice. Would you do anything differently? Why or why not? What remaining questions or concerns do you have with regard to a classroom management plan?
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.