Assignment 1a due Saturday 12/20/14
Assessment and diagnosis are the first, and most critical, parts of substance use disorder treatment. Without an accurate assessment, the client may not benefit from the treatment options selected.
Review the following scenario and address the questions that follow:
Julia got into a car accident at the end of her senior year of high school, which resulted in a broken leg and an injured knee, both of which needed surgery to repair. During her recovery, she was in a lot of pain, so her doctor prescribed OxyContin.
After several weeks, the prescribed dose of OxyContin was no longer sufficient to completely alleviate Julia’s pain. So, she decided to take more than the prescribed dosage. This not only alleviated Julia’s pain, but it also gave her a feeling of euphoria, which she enjoyed. When Julia ran out of OxyContin and was unable to take it, she experienced a great deal of pain, even in areas of her body that were not affected by the car accident. She also found herself more anxious and agitated on days when she could not take OxyContin than on days when she did take it.
Based on your analysis of the scenario and module readings, respond to the following:
- Which assessment tool(s) would you use to help evaluate and diagnose Julia’s substance use? Explain why you made your choice.
- Based on the current DSM diagnostic criteria, does Julia’s behavior fit into a substance use disorder? Explain the rationale for your diagnosis.
Write your initial response in 300–400 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Assignment 1b due Monday 12/22/14
There are many theories behind the different counseling modalities. Some counselors will adhere to one specific theory, focusing treatment types to the tenets of that theory. Other counselors will adopt a more eclectic counseling foundation, drawing key ideas from multiple theories and combining many treatment types to suit their clients.
For this assignment, create a chart that outlines the following counseling theories: behavior theory, psychoanalytic theory, cognitive-behavioral theory, and person centered theory. For each theory, cover the following aspects:
- Goals of therapy
- Types of treatment
- Theoretical explanation of where substance use or abuse stems from
- Characteristics of the client that would be the best fit for this theory
Download a copy of the chart template which you can use to create your chart.
This is what the chart template looks like.
On the top across it has a blank box and four other columns
Blank box| Goals of Therapy| Types of Treatment| Origins of Substance Abuse| Client Characteristics for Best Fit
Below the blank box it has four columns going down.
Person Centered Theory
Once your chart is complete, address the following questions:
- Describe the similarities and differences between the different therapeutic theories.
- According to you, which approach or combination of approaches best fits you as a future counselor?
Write a 4–5-page paper (including the chart) in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Assignment 2a due Wednesday 12/24
Integrating Pharmacotherapy in Treatment
While numerous psychotherapeutic methods for treating substance abuse are available, some patients also utilize pharmacotherapy to assist them in their recovery.
Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and other scholarly resources from the Internet, evaluate the integration of pharmacotherapy in the treatment of substance use disorders. Then, respond to the following questions:
- What are the costs and benefits of combining pharmacotherapy with psychotherapy in the treatment of substance use disorders?
- How does abstinence apply to those users who are taking replacement therapy such as methadone maintenance or nicotine replacement treatments?
- What counseling theories will work best alongside pharmacotherapies for substance use disorders?
Write your initial response in approximately 300–400 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Assignment 2b due 1/2/2015
Starting a Group
Group therapy represents a large portion of treatment opportunities for clients battling substance use disorders. Groups are an important part of treatment, allowing clients to feel as though they are not alone in facing a problem and that other people have faced similar problems and overcome them successfully.
This particular assignment consists of two parts. For this assignment, assume that you have been working as an individual counselor at a substance abuse treatment center for some time now. Your supervisor has asked you to create a therapy group for a handful of the substance abuse clients that you and the other counselors work with. In order to identify the appropriate clients that can be placed in your group, your supervisor has asked you to prepare a report outlining the important points of the group you are forming:
Prepare a 1–2-page report detailing the following items in your group design:
- Goal(s) of group
- Group norms (such as attendance requirements, privacy, confidentiality, relationships with group members, etc.)
- Differences between therapy group and self-help groups
- Procedure for dealing with disruptive and/or resistant clients
- Form(s) of power to be used
- Consequences for relapse
- Procedure for dealing with a member leaving the group
For the next part of this assignment, read this passage and address the questions that follow:
As the group leader, it is important to take time to look at some of the issues you may need to be aware of in yourself throughout each of the four stages of group development. For example, the second stage of group development includes an opportunity for clients to challenge or critique you. The way you handle criticism is an issue you need to identify and be wary of how you respond. Keeping this in mind, your supervisor has asked you to do the following:
- Reflect on your potential issues for each of the four stages of group development.
- Present at least two self-care strategies that you will be able to choose from in order to address these issues as they arise in your career.
Write a 3–4-page paper that includes both parts of the assignment in Word format. Include a title page in APA format. Use scholarly resources, including your textbook to support your ideas.Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Will you do these for $60 dollars? I will have more after the holidays.