INTRO – Explain your reasons for choosing your identified group population
You are assigned to assist a group of individuals who have been affected by gun violence. The links below will give you information about the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, as well as other high-profile stories where gun violence claimed the lives of young people in Florida.
Your task is to plan a psychotherapy group for a diverse group of affected individuals. You can choose any group you wish. Some ideas include the following, though I expect you to identify a group that resonates with the work you’d like to do.
- Parents whose children were shot and killed
- Young adults (age 18-26) whose siblings were shot and killed
- Students who witnessed the death of classmates
- Teachers/Staff who witnessed the death of students
- Students (and/or parents of these students) who are concerned about the President’s proposal that teachers be armed
- Survivors of school shootings from other districts who have been re-traumatized by the events in Parkland
- Advocates for change whose voices have not been heard until now (i.e. Dream Defenders)
- Other: __________________________________
Below are some articles about the shooting in Parkland, as well as the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis. Reuters was chosen as a news source because it is considered to be one of the least biased news sources. While you may use these resources in your paper, you are responsible for OUTSIDE resources to support your work, when indicated.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-florida-shooting/eyewitness-describes-trayvon-martins-fatal-struggle-to-florida-jury-idUSBRE95Q0EE20130628 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Re: Dream Defenders: /dream-defenders-arent-walking-out-on-their-florida-protest.html” target=”_blank”>https://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/us/dream-defenders-arent-walking-out-on-their-florida-protest.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Parents of both Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis
- Consider the concept of Mutual Aid: Explain the importance of creating a positive culture of work. Choose at least three group dynamics that exist within this positive culture. Explain why these particular dynamics are important for effective group work with the population you have chosen.
- During the preliminary stage of group work, what cultural considerations would you want to keep in mind with regard to individuals in your group and their unique experiences with gun violence? How might this influence the individual needs in group and the needs of the group as a whole? How would you address these needs?
- Consider the middle stage of group work and your role of leader/facilitator. What specific issues and/or taboo topics do you hypothesize might arise with this group? How would you use elaborating AND empathic skills to address these issues?
- Outside of your role as a group leader/facilitator, how would you advocate for the group of individuals with whom you are working. Consider power structures that benefit from your population’s presenting issues. How would you interact with these power structures to advocate for your clients?
CONCLUSION: Revisit the reason for choosing your specific population, and how writing this paper has influenced the way you think about group work in general.