Review “How to Improve Personal Communication” in Chapter 2 and compare your personal communication style to the communication skills outlined in this section. Reflect on your communication habits and tendencies as you reread this section. In a two to three page essay, describe your communication strengths and weaknesses. Consider the following questions:
• Do you use clear, concise language?
• Do you use parallel channels of communication?
• Are you mindful of appropriate timing?
• Do you consider your audience when communicating and chose the receiver’s preferred communication method?
• Do you have effective active listening skills?
• Are you capable of critical listening? Or do you have a tendency to see the topic from your own point of view?
• Are you empathetic? Or are you impatient? Do you want people to think you are listening when you are actually thinking about something else?
• Do you give people the impression that you are judgemental?
How would you rate your overall communication skills on a scale of 1-10 (1=weak; 10=strong)?
Second, briefly describe the communication technologies you use. Do you use email? Do you text? Are you on Facebook? Twitter? LinkedIn? What are the positives and negatives of communication technologies?
Last, summarize how improving your communication skills can benefit you professionally and personally.