Deliverable Length: 3 – 4 paragraph
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
In your role as the memory chip company’s production planning staff member, one of your tasks is to help the supply chain team focus on capacity planning. The company has determined it will use one or more of the following options to optimize capacity planning:
- The use of dedicated and flexible facilities: The company has several permanent storage facilities and has used temporary storage in the past.
- Flexible workforce: The company’s workforce generally works 8–5 Monday through Friday, though some Asian locations have different days of working. Management is considering adjusting existing workforce time structures to meet planned demand.
- Subcontracting: With the planned demand increasing, perhaps temporarily, subcontracting the additional resources might be an option.
- Product design flexibility: The company is considering modifying its factory production lines to be better able to handle future demand.
Using course materials and other research, complete the following:
- Identify one or more capacity planning methods that you will recommend for the company, and explain the method and how it is used in various industries. Are there other options?
- Identify the advantages and disadvantages of your proposal.
Comment on other postings by critiquing the other proposals and suggesting aspects of your classmates’ plans that may have been overlooked.
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on 2 other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.