The importance of community engagement in effective policing first came to the forefront in the 1980s with the advent of community-oriented policing. Since then, community engagement and cooperation has become increasingly important and law enforcement agencies are using a multitude of innovative programs to engage with their communities.
For this Assignment, you will create a Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation on community engagement. In your presentation, address the following:
- Why community relationships are imperative to effective policing.
- How administration of a criminal justice organization is made easier with positive community partnerships.
- Through research, outline four current community relations programs being used by law enforcement organizations today. For each program, cover the following:
- Summarize the program.
- Explain how the program improves police-community relations.
- Discuss any measures of success you are able find for the program.
NOTE: Prepare your presentation as though you were going to present it in front of a group. Refrain from excessive amounts of words on each slide. Use concise, bulleted lines and utilize the notes section below each slide for additional details you would discuss in your presentation but may not be required on the slide itself.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the Assignment, a successful presentation must also meet the following criteria.
- Length should be 16–18 slides, excluding title slide and references slide.
- Include a title slide with full name, class name, section number, and date.
- Use examples to support your discussion.
- Cite all sources on a separate reference slide at the end of your presentation and cited within the body of the presentation using APA style.
PowerPoint Formatting Directions:
- Use one basic slide design and layout.
- Limit slides to between 6 and 8 lines of content.
- You may use pictures, charts, and graphs to supplement your material as long as they do not take up the entire slide.
- Use bullets for your main points.
- Use speaker notes to explain what is being discussed in the bullet points as though you are presenting to an audience.
- To learn more about using speaker notes, open PowerPoint and press F1. In the search box, type “create notes” and press Enter. The related topics on notes appear.
- The presentation should contain a cover slide and a list of references in APA style.
NOTE: This Assignment will require outside research. Use at least two credible sources beyond the text material and discuss how you evaluated the credibility of the resources used.