Review the video Ask Me Why I Care: J. Fred Silva, Senior Policy Advisor, California Forward available at the link below. The transcript for this video is available here.
Public Service Stories – Ask Me Why I Care. (2015, October 14). Ask me why I care: J. Fred Silva, senior policy advisor, California Forward [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEs1fdU0Afo&t=37)
Emphasizing the old days when community and civic leaders communicated on a regular basis, Fred Silva, Senior Policy Advisor, supporting California local government, also provides advice for students interested in public policy development. Based on the unit lesson and Mr. Silva’s advice on solving public policy challenges, select a local or national policy issue, then outline and specifically delineate each policy process variable(s).
Your paper should include:
- an introductory paragraph identifying the public policy topic and background;
- Six comprehensive paragraphs – each paragraph heading will be listed as:
- Problem Definition and Analysis: In this paragraph, answer the questions of who, what, why, where, when, and how much.
- Drafting Policy Options: In this paragraph, identify policy options.
- Policy Decision Implications: In this paragraph, identify which stakeholders and what will be changed.
- Measuring Alternatives: In this paragraph, identify realistic and practical options.
- Ethical Implications: In this paragraph, identify what groups’ values or cultures may be affected.
- Desirable Conclusions: In this paragraph, describe the policy selected and why it was selected; and
- a summary. Conclude your remarks by illustrating why public policy option was selected, why it was the best option or not the best, and identify what lessons you learned from your research.