Music connects us to time and place. For instance, many of us may remember a song that comforted us during a difficult time or what was playing during a happy occasion like a graduation or engagement. Despite our varying tastes, the one constant is that music plays a role in times of comfort and celebration.
This week’s writing Assignment asks you to consider what songs are important to you and why. You can think of this as defining the soundtrack of your own life. In 750–1000 words, consider and explain the role of music in your life story. You must incorporate a connection to the Unit 7 Janaro course text reading material; as such, incorporate APA citations throughout the analysis, and a references section at the end of your analysis.
Please use essay format, with an introductory paragraph and thesis statement; supporting paragraphs; and a concluding paragraph. For each of the following categories, you must include at least one specific song and artist. In your analysis, consider the following:
- What music do you associate with childhood? How did/does this music make you feel? How do your choices reflect your childhood experiences? Include at least one specific song/artist for this category.
- What music do you associate with adolescence? Was this music a way to fit in or rebel? Include at least one specific song/artist for this category.
- What music do you associate with comfort? How do these songs help you deal with disappointment or stress? Include at least one specific song/artist for this category.
- What music do you associate with happiness? Why? Include at least one specific song/artist for this category.
Your essay should be double-spaced and include a title page in APA format. The title page does not count in the word count for the Assignment. Complete the project using the Microsoft Word template in Doc Sharing.
Incorporate APA citations throughout the analysis as well as a references section at the end of the analysis. (The references section does NOT count towards the required word count for the Unit 7 Assignment.) Review the APA quick reference guide on the left-hand sidebar under course home for APA formatting guidelines.
Submitting Your Assignment
Put your Assignment in a Microsoft Word document. Save it in a location and with a name that you will remember.
When you are ready to submit it, click on the Dropbox and complete the steps below:
- Click the link that says Submit an Assignment.
- In the “Submit to Basket” menu, select Unit 7: Assignment.
- In the “Comments” field, include at least the title of your paper.
- Click the Add Attachments button.
- Follow the steps listed to attach your Microsoft Word document.
- o view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it. Click the Dropbox to access it.
- Make sure that you save a copy of your submitted Assignment.