Small Groups and Communities
This assignment will introduce you to the use of small groups to deliver a service. You will also explore how communities are developed and how community influences human behavior.
Using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, explore these concepts and respond to the following:
- Identify three types of small groups.
- Locate and provide real-life examples of small groups (such as support groups, community groups, education groups, and parent support groups) in your community.
- Specifically discuss the purpose and scope of each of the three groups chosen earlier, along with the group structure, the population served, the frequency of group meetings, and the duration of the group.
- Define the term “community” and then discuss the influences of the global communication technologies on the nature of communities. You can use the groups identified above as examples to explain your points.
- Compare two theoretical approaches to community (for example, contrasting types, spatial arrangements, social systems, social capital, and conflict) in terms of relevance to human services.
- Your response should rely upon at least two sources from professional literature. This may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov). Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., APA format); and use accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions
Reference to supporting readings and other materials
Language and grammar