SOWK 1100 – Values Assignment
Values and ethics are a cornerstone of professional practice in many disciplines, but particularly in social work. In order to be an effective clinician, you need to have a working understanding of the profession’s values as well as your own personal ones. This assignment will give you the opportunity to explore your own personal values as well as develop a beginning understand of professional social work values and ethics.
2.1.2—Apply social work ethical principles to guide professional practice.
In a 1-2 page paper, please answer the following questions:
1. What are your core values?
2. Where/how did you learn these values?
3. Explain (in your own words) the ethical principles and values of the social work profession according to NASW. Don’t just list them, explain them.
4. In what areas do your values agree with social work values?
5. In what areas do your values diverge from social work values?
6. How might differences in your values hinder or affect your ability to be a practicing social worker?
Be sure that your paper is narrative in format. Do not just state the question and answer it. Make sure that you put some thought into your responses. Your paper should be double spaced with one inch margins and your name in the upper right corner. Pages should be STAPLED together. Do not fold edges or use paper clips as the pages can become separated and lost. Be sure that you use proper grammar, punctuation and spelling.
Paragraph 1 – answer questions 1 and 2
Paragraph 2 – answer question 3
Paragraph 3 – answer questions 4-6