This assignment on,ly has to be 250-275 words.
This week we discover some of the complex challenges and opportunities with which schools are faced. These challenges and opportunities include:
- Pygmalion Effect.
- Hidden Curriculum.
- Ecological Environment.
- Diversity (segregation and integration).
- Sleeper effect.
- Impact of legislation (i.e.; Brown v Board of Education & Lau v. Nichols).
- Cultural Deficit.
- Achievement Gap.
- Heterogeneous Groups.
- Parent Involvement (lack of).
- Community Involvement (lack of).
Part 1: Map it!
Each of these profound topics is extremely rich in the literature specifically in how they translate into our society. However, we shall take a more cursory approach and map these topics in one of two ways:
- How they might relate to one another (see example)
- How they might have a cause and effect relationship impacting student learning.
There are a number of ways you can represent your ideas graphically:
- Use the SmartArt graphics in MS Word, under the insert tab. Pick the graphic design that most appropriately represents the relationship between these topics you choose to map. You will need to either add more tabs/blocks to the organizational chart or create several smaller maps to address all bulleted topics.
- You could also use a number of concept mapping, mind mapping, or thinking map free software you may discover through Google searching such as Inspiration.
Part 2: Describe it!
Include a brief, concise summary paragraph explaining the map for your classmates. Highlight certain parts and explain the relationships. Save your graphic and description in a single document and add as an attachment when responding to the discussion.
Here’s an example:
*Note you can change colors when you click on the graphic and select the design tab in the tool bar above.