A number of important resources supporting the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of culturally relevant instructional experiences are available online. Throughout this course, you have had many opportunities to view a number of such resources. This assignment encourages you to reflect on the key concepts presented in the course through the creation of a presentation that you can use in the future to support your teaching efforts. The goal is to showcase schools or programs representing what you have learned thus far regarding culturally relevant practices, creativity, and innovation. A plethora of options exists as you search for a model school or program. While the K-12 public school setting may be on the forefront of your mind, remember there are a variety of learning environments available, such as charter and private schools, technical programs, post-secondary education and training programs, schools and programs pertaining to the military, Sunday schools and other religious schools, and more. Therefore, expand your search efforts to gain a well-rounded perspective to share in your presentation. The resource you create can also be shared with colleagues (as well as the public in general) to advocate for implementing a more culturally-relevant instructional approach to professional practice.
A listing of free tools you might choose to use as you develop a website or presentation is presented in the Instructor Guidance. Each tool includes its own collection of help files and tutorials to support your creative endeavor. Similarly, there are numerous web-based tools that could be utilized to create an interactive presentation, such as Animoto, Knovio, Prezi, or PowToon. Use your creativity and try something new!
Review the Week Four Instructor Guidance for detailed assistance about preparing for and completing this assignment. Next, construct your assignment to meet the content and written communication expectations below. You will submit this assignment to two places in our course. First, submit the Assignment to Waypoint, as usual. Second, submit the Assignment to Doc Sharing. To access the Doc Sharing tool, select “Modules” in your left navigation menu. In the “Tools” module, you will find the Doc Sharing page.
- Create a Presentation that includes each of the following items: (7 points)
- A separate page/slide for each bullet point:
- Name and location of the school with a link to the school or program
- General demographic information about the students
- A summary of why the school or program is innovative and/or unique
- A description of the 21st century skills supported by the school or program.
- Examination of how the learning experiences reflect culturally relevant pedagogy
- Explanation of how the school and/or program promotes creativity in the classroom for both teachers and students
- A separate page/slide for each bullet point:
- The presentation is well organized, formatted with high-contrast (1 point)
If you are enrolled in the MAED Program, it is imperative that you keep copies of all assignments completed in this course. You will return to them for the portfolio that you will create in your final MAED course. This portfolio is a culminating project that will demonstrate that you have met program outcomes.
Review this week’s Instructor Guidance for additional information about completing this assignment. Contact your instructor for clarifications about this or any assessment in the course before the due date using the “Ask Your Instructor” forum. Then, also using the Grading Rubric as a guide for your performance on this assignment, construct your assignment to meet each of the content and written communication expectations.
Review your assignment with the Grading Rubric to be sure you have achieved the distinguished levels of performance for each criterion and submit the assignment for evaluation no later than Day 7
Culturally Relevant Inspiration
- Must be seven to ten slides (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at three scholarly, peer-reviewed, credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center..