o How does the evolution of children’s welfare and protection in Canada reinforce the accusation that Canadian Governments and authorities were racist against Aboriginal peoples?
o What does Colonization refers to?
o How was the Indian Act modified in 1951?
o What was “operation soap”
o What was Canada’s Orphan Act of 1799?
o What were the The Butterbox Babies?
o Define the term “oppression”?
o What is “The Battered Woman Syndrome”?
o There are different opinions about Globalization and Outsourcing. What do proponents of globalization argue versus those who are against it? Try to come up with an example for each. ( max 2-3 paragraphs)
o What corporations can you name that have a global reach? Consider both U.S./Canadian firms operating abroad, and firms located elsewhere that do business in the United States.
o What international goods or services do you purchase? Name a few.
o What common social issues are faced by both Canadians and Americans? Think of health care, education, poverty and immigration? How do they differ?
o Canada’s immigration focus is on INTEGRATION vs USA focus is on ASSIMILATION. Explain the difference.
o What American sport has gone “global”? Name a few players from different countries.
Answer the following questions. State what they are and why are they important for this region? (Latin America)
- DEPENDENCY THEORY
- Two major legacies of Colonialism are religion and language. What countries colonized Latin America? Why were they so successful? What languages are dominant today in Latina America?
- Resources to look at:
– On line resources such as: http://www.kimberleyprocess.com/,
– (watch the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eThlmx7w9r0
- Answer the following questions:
- Summarize in your own words The Kimberly Process Certification Scheme (1 paragraphs max)
- According to the video what were some of the countries affected by ethnic conflict involving diamonds?
- What /who is the RUF? How did this group use diamonds and for what purpose? What is the name of lucrative diamond district in Sierra Leone?
- What/who is UNITA? Where did this group operate?
- What is Global Witness? Where it located and what is its focus?
- Briefly summarize the history of De Beers Company. Why was this company so successful in capturing 90% of the world diamond trade?
- What was the human cost of conflict diamonds? How the horrors of blood diamonds did capture world’s attention?
- What is Confucianism? What does it stress/focus on?
- Search the internet for “opium wars? What were they? Who fought them? Why?
- How does geopolitical situation look like in East Asia today? Look at each country and determine which ones do get along? Which ones do not?
- What is OPEC? Who are members of OPEC? Why is OPEC so powerful?
- What is a theocratic state (country)?
- What is Shari’a law?
- What 5 countries in the Middle East are oil rich?